Friday, May 7, 2010

Still alive.....I think

I feel like I haven't been a part of the human race in forever! Maybe because I've been quaranteened to the house with sick kids! Oh my! My son somehow picked up Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease. I know my older girls got it when they were little, but Tanner has it B-A-D!! I'm not kidding. His throat is awful!

He started with a fever last Saturday morning so I ran (not really ran, just drove down to Ogden ;) ha ha) to the Kids Care. They tested for strep but it came back negative so they said to just keep him comfortable with Motrin/Tylenol and bring him back on Monday if it doesn't get any better. Monday morning as soon as their clinic opened, I was on the phone making an appointment. His fever had finally gone down (it had been 102-103 all weekend) but his throat was getting worse. We met with the doctor and she said he had Hand, Foot, and Mouth. He basically has canker sores all down his throat! I've seen them and they're everywhere! Oh yeah, she also said he's contagious until the sores are totally gone. Great. All week long he has cried (really, ALL week) and just says, "Mommy, it hurts!" He even cries in his sleep. I feel so bad for him, but at the same time I'm so sick of the whining! Is that so mean of me. I know he's not complaining just to complain....he really hurts! We've tried everything under the sun for him. Chloraseptic spray (we've even used it to gargle), cough drops, popsicles, yogurt, a cocktail of Benadryl and Maalox that he gargles (which actually worked SUPER well), Motrin/Tylenol every 3 hours (I've been through a whole bottle of each this week), and anything that he asks for!!!

Today, after a whole week of being miserable, I think he's finally rounding the corner. BUT my youngest, Ellie, started with a fever a couple nights ago. Great. So far so good with her though. She only had a fever for a day and a half and still feels good. Maybe a bit on the ornery side, but hey, I'll gladly take that over another sore throat! Its her 2nd birthday tomorrow, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that she'll be able to enjoy her day.

Things can only get better from here, right?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's FINALLY rounding that corner. What an awful week. And I'm SO GLAD Ellie didn't get it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miserable. For both of you. I share your feelings . . . being tired of the whining. You know they're in pain, and feel bad for 'em, but MAN. That gets old ;) You made me feel better knowing I'm not the only mom who has a short rope when it comes to being confined to home with a poor sick little one!! I feel like scratching my eyes out after day 2 ;) Glad things are looking up! Here's to a happy birthday - fever free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I really hope Ellie has a great healthy birthday tomorrow! I'm crossing my fingers for all of ya. So glad Tanner is on the mend, what an awful week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My throat hurts just reading the post! Glad to hear that things are getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie got that when we brought Bella was born. Gratefully, it didn't pass on to her, but I remember how miserable Robbie was. I had never heard of the virus before but now I hear it more often. Hopefully, you all can heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete