Sunday, August 15, 2010

yummmmmm

I love Sunday afternoons. Church is over (not that I don't love church, I do; but just that my weekly responsibility is over and I can relax), I can take a nap if I want, the kids are somewhat occupied, and if I'm really lucky, my hubby makes dinner. That's what happened today. He really outdid himself today. Steak and shrimp! Yummmmm! AND he made dessert: Huckleberry Crisp. This recipe is one of my favorites for summer (or anytime of year for that matter) - it came from my SIL Steph. Trust me, you'll love it too!

Oatmeal Crisp

3/4 cup quick oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 can pie filling (any flavor)

Spread pie filling on the bottom of a small casserole dish (8x8 size (I actually have an 11x7 that I use and it works good)). Mix oats, sugar, flour and butter together and spread on top of pie filling. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. And of course, serve it HOT with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Easy and yummy.

If you've never tried huckleberries before, they're delicious. Kind of a like a blueberry, but smaller and more ...tart. I guess. We made our own pie filling (you can use any fruit for this).
1 cup fruit (if you're doing something other than berries, like peaches, I'd probably mash some of them up and keep some of them sliced)
1 cup water
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
Put fruit, water, and sugar in a saucepan. Add a little bit of cold water to the cornstarch in a separate cup then add to the saucepan. Heat to bubbling and a thicker consistency, then remove from heat.

I know I just gave you a recipe for the pie filling, but I think we've tried the oatmeal crisp using canned fruit or even fresh fruit (like peaches) and it works good too. ......Peach Days is coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. Definitely going to try this! You know how I love new recipes! Just wish I had me some huckleberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just drooled on the keyboard...or it could have been leftovers from Liv. Either way lots of drool! And kudos to Brad for doing dinner and a dessert. What a champ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm.....hello?
    IM SO TRYING THIS!!!

    thanks for shareing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should copy and paste this in our food blog! Yummy! Speaking of, I sent you another invite to it. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete