Friday, June 25, 2010

Hawaii Part III

My sister Cami lives on the Big Island and had everything mapped out for our vacation. She made all the arrangements and knew all the places to go and things we'd want to do while we were there. Thanks to her we didn't miss out on anything and we have no regrets for things we didn't get to do. Mwah! For example.....she knew we'd want to hit this beach:



Mauna Kea
It is ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in the world and it did not disappoint! It's a public beach, but the parking is limited, so if you don't get a space, you don't get to go. We were extremely lucky and got the last 2 spaces! Because of its limited parking space, there aren't a million people there either. The sand is powder soft and the water is almost bathwater warm. It's in a little cove that protects it so the waves are relatively calm and its great for snorkeling too. Isn't it gorgeous? :)

There was even lots of shady spots which made it all the better!


There is a reef right by those rocks and there are so many colorful fishes.....just like Finding Nemo! :) This is where I tried snorkeling for the first time in my life! At first the breathing tube made me gag, but then I got used to it and absolutely loved it!



I snorkeled right next to this little guy (or maybe it was a brother). Actually he was pretty big. It was incredible!



* * *

LuauAll the "wahines" got these flower leis as we arrived. The food was delicious and the entertainment was fabulous too! Right when you get to your seat, they have taro chips out for you to snack on.....best things ever! I wish I could find them over here. I also wish I'd taken more pictures of my family. I should've just stolen their pics from their blogs, but that takes too much effort.....ya, I know, I'm lazy.
I got alot of video at the luau (which I can never get loaded onto blogger correctly, so sorry for all you who wanted to see the action) but not many pictures.

* * *

Kona Temple and Fairwind II Snorkel Tour On our way to our snorkel tour, we stopped and took pictures at the temple. It was beautiful. And like most LDS places, we met someone who knew someone and chatted for a bit. Kinda cool.

Kealakekua Bay

We rode out (or ferried out) about 45 minutes to Kealakekua Bay. It is a perfect spot for snorkeling. The water was a bit cold (actually it was surprisingly freezing, but just like Bear Lake, once you get in, you eventually get used to it). The boat we were on is the only boat licensed to anchor is this bay.

Aboard the Fairwind II. It is a catamaran and when it's anchored, there are 2 slides and a diving board. We had so much fun going down the slides (me, Callie, Aimee, and Tyler). Who says slides are for kids.....we're just a little bigger.


Don't ask what I'm doing.....I'm not even sure myself. :o

Suzanne and Tyler


Captain Cook's monument. He was the first European to arrive in Hawaii in the late 1700s (or they called it the Sandwich Islands).

3 comments:

  1. Great pics at the beach, it really captured the day. So glad you guys loved it! I am loving these Hawaii vacation recaps. Can't wait for part 4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some great beach pics...I may steal some. When can we go back?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out those chips weren't taro chips, they were sweet potatoes!!! I found them at the store today and we've been snacking on them. I bought some taro chips and it's not those, definitely sweet potato! They make them here in Hilo!

    ReplyDelete