Wednesday, August 19, 2009

School's in Session!

Even as a little kid, I've always loved the first day of school. Finally getting to wear the new outfit that I'd picked out weeks ago, the smell of new shoes, new backpacks, seeing old friends and a little shy about meeting new ones, wondering if the teacher will be nice, if she'll like me....sorry, went a little nostalgic on ya, but anyway, I do love the first day of school. This end of things, being the mom, is a bit different. I have mixed emotions. I'm glad that the family is back to a regular routine, glad that the kids are no longer able to argue all day with one another or tell me how tough they've got it by doing chores "all summer long", but also sad that they're gone all day and my house is quieter (I would say "quiet" but Tanner is still at home....enough said). It was fun to see the difference in my girls as they got ready....Meagan, super super excited to go, Lindsay, still excited but more subdued. Tanner got excited too once they got their backpacks together. He had to put his on, and even loaded his backpack up with his water bottle. We took the girls to school (even though they can ride the bus, its fun for me to bring them on the first day) and I had to remind Tanner several times that he wasn't going to school today and that we were not stopping to play at the playground. If I hadn't, there would have been a total meltdown in the halls of the elementary school. He was okay with it but still asked when he was going to school. My girls are growing up and getting much more mature....even Lindsay only gave me a half-hearted hug as I left her class this morning...she's always been my homebody. They came home today with big smiles on their faces and LOTS of stories about who they sat next too, what they did at recess, and what they thought about this new school year. Love you girls!!!!

All dressed (except Tanner, still in his "mario bros" jammies) and ready for the 1st day! Tanner had to put on his new shoes too.

Lindsay...funny story about the shoes. We bought her a cute new pair of Mary Jane-type-shoes that she could wear with any outfit, but would look so adorable with her skirt and the really fun pair of striped tights she has too. The night before school, we were discussing outfits (like all good mothers and daughters do :)) and she decided that it might be too hot to wear her tights....probably right I thought. But then this morning, she came up wearing those socks and shoes. Oh. You've got to understand that Linds is my tender-hearted little girl, and if you say something, she'll either get her feelings hurt, or she'll do what you want her to do, just for the sake of making you happy. I decided not to say anything and just let her be. After all, she still looked adorable.
Meagan...the tomboy posture says it all. Love those baby blues!
Just getting home after a fun day.
Tanner and I had been sitting on the grass, watching and waiting for the bus to come! He missed them.
____________________

It wasn't just the first day of school for the kids...teachers too! This year, my hubby is going back to school with a Masters of Education tucked under his belt! Way to go Brad, we're so proud of you! It's been a tough 2 years, but you (and "we" too) made it! I failed to get a picture of Brad this morning before he left for school, but I found a "goodie" instead. I pulled this picture out of our scrapbook....it's his very first day of teaching.....8 years ago! Ha Ha. He was the Business teacher at the middle school then, but has since moved over to the high school to teach P.E. and Weightlifting classes. He loves his job and the kids too. He is an amazing teacher and I know the students really love and look up to him too. Love you hon!

Sorry about my reflection in the background...it's a picture of a picture. I love this picture, it's so funny. He was really embarrassed when I took it the first time (and none too happy about me putting it in the blog). You can tell he's thinking, "Geesh, are you kidding me, I'm not in 1st grade, just take the picture already, before someone sees me!" He looks so young too, I'm sure I haven't aged a bit in 8 years...right?! Take notice of those glasses...as if you couldn't see them from the next room, they're HUGE! Ah, the good ol' days!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun day and a fun time to be a mom! I have so much to look forward too!

    Tanner was so funny in those group pictures! I can totally picture him that morning all excited too. Love those Mario Bros jammies. :)

    Meagan looks so grown up! I do love that outfit and she looked super excited of course.

    Lindsay, oh Lindsay...she looked gorgeous and the shoes looked just fine. :) I'm glad she chose to wear the skirt too, its so cute! I thought the same thing about the tights too when I noticed she wasn't wearing them. Good thinkin Linds!

    Brad I'm still laughing! :) I can't believe it was 8 years ago.

    Love your family! Can't wait to hear about Tanner's first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this post all day! I love the group picture before they left for school. Heck the Mario Bros jammies are cute enough for Tanner to wear to his first day. I love all the outfits that they picked out. What an adorable family! Loved the last picture. I was going to get me a popscicle but that is a "goodie" enough for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, first day of school! LOVE IT! I can't believe how much Meagan looks like you ;) And you're such a good mom to not say anything about the shoes! I would've had to bite my tongue 'til it bled (not 'cause I don't think it looks cute, but because I REALLY like it when things go how I thought they were going to go!) Their hair looked SO, SO cute! You have SUCH a darling family - glasses you can see from the next room and all ;)
    And I MUST also comment on your family reunion post (I tried to right after I read it, but for some reason it didn't take). Anyway, I LOVE THAT YOUR FAMILY did that! How fun! I wish I could've been a fly on the wall during the talent show! And, this is random, but I still remember Tyler giving a talk in church and starting off with the meaning of Citius, Altius, Fortius = Faster, Higher, Stronger, the actual Olympic theme! I guess it may be the only thing I remember learning in church?! But, just further proof that the Olympic spirit runs through your family! That was the neatest theme, and the shirts were AWESOME! I think your family needs to give my family lessons in Family Reunion - ing! Too fun!
    And, just to make this the LONGEST "comment" ever: Happy Second Day of School!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the glasses, Brad, and yet still managed to be handsome.

    I love this stage of our lives...

    I was able to see and visit with Michael and Heidi and you mom when I was home. I'll take what I can get.

    Love ya all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jamie you and i are too alike...that was totally me on the first day of school! your girls are so cute! i can't believe how fast they've grown up. and yes i love the picture of brad! too funny!

    ReplyDelete