Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A few improvements...

Ever since we bought our home, almost 6 years ago, we've wanted to fix our driveway. It was never finished all the way to the road, and the cement that had been poured, wasn't done correctly. The top portion was flaking away, and just plain horrible. We decided to make a few more improvements along with the driveway: fix the front steps and add a patio in the back. I've taken a few before and afters.....and then just some fun pictures of the process. We are very very pleased with how it looks now, and can't wait to use it! Patio furniture and a swing are now on my wish list!!!

DRIVEWAY BEFORE

AFTER
I forgot to take this picture until it was already a little dark. Sorry, its not the best, but it really does look awesome! We still have the orange cones out for a few more days...Saturday will be the first day we can drive on it. Tanner is waiting, impatiently, for me to come back across the road...he was NOT very happy that I left him there.
FRONT STEPS BEFORE
Notice there is no top step, just exposed wood...not so pretty.
AFTER
Looking good....Tanner too!
BACK STEPS BEFORE
The back steps also didn't have a top step, just an awkward step up into the house.
AFTER
I'm so so sooo excited to use this. Dinners, lunches, and breakfasts will be so much fun out here!
A FEW FUN PICS ALONG THE WAY
Tanner spent every minute outside on the days the cement trucks came! The trucks came at 6:30am, but he still wanted to go watch. What a boy!


It took 2 cement trucks to pour our driveway...I know, ALOT!

This picture was taken at about 6:45am...on a school day. I guess cement trucks are worth it. I admit, even I thought it was pretty cool.




The back steps had to be demolished with a jack hammer....very very LOUD!


LOVE this picture of Tanner. Brad was wearing safety goggles while he was using the jackhammer, so Tanner had to be just like him.....safety first! lol

Brad let me hold the jackhammer, just to show me how heavy it was. That thing is HEAVY! I didn't really "hold" it, I could only keep it propped up.


I probably should have put these last few pictures a little earlier in the blog, so you could see a little more of the progression of things, but too late now. This was after the driveway had been dug out.

A friend came to help us level the driveway.

Wow, what a difference the patio makes. I'm super excited to use it!

7 comments:

  1. Jam it looks AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to see it in person. The patio is better than expected. It looks so great. And I can't wait to test out the driveway. Makes me think of the movie 'Cars' when McQueen finishes the road and they all go out for a stroll. Can't wait for my stroll on the driveway and patio. Hmm...I'm thinking a BBQ in Morgan sounds pretty awesome right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Aimee.....awesome!!!! The patio is great and I don't blame you for wanting to eat every meal outside! I love your cute house and its cute new driveway and patio :) I'm excited to come see it!

    Love Tanner in all those pics....too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, you will love your patio. We eat on ours all the time. I bet the drive way will be nice to drive on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I am so excited for you guys. It looks so nice. You will love your patio. It looks really nice. I can't believe your kids got up so early, but i bet it was fun for them to watch the cement trucks!!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great home improvements! I'm sure you will LOVE the patio. jN

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new addition to the Matthews home! When can we break in that patio with a good old fashioned BBQ? Food just tastes better outside in the summer. Your kids are adorable as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I am so impressed. It looks great. You have the most beautiful backgrounds too!

    ReplyDelete