Monday, April 6, 2009

Tampa, Florida

Brad was lucky enough to get approval to go to a PE conference in Tampa, Florida so Ellie and I decided to tag along. (I mean seriously, wouldn't you?) We arrived in Florida safely and Ellie was a pretty good traveler, but wouldn't fall asleep until the last 45 minutes of a 4 hour flight! She just wouldn't give in - STUBBORN! She never started "crying" but got fussy and didn't want anything for a while. Thank goodness I had Brad to help with her. She loved the video we brought for her to watch on the laptop, and kept the headphones on pretty good, but I packed my camera with our luggage and didn't get a picture. The flight was pretty smooth, but the last 35 min or so were pretty bumpy - Brad was NOT feeling his best. He looked a little green around the gills by the time we exited the plane! We sat next to a NICE lady, and she even held Ellie a few times. It turned out that I knew her sister from when I worked at Kings in Logan many moons ago. She was going to the same PE conference as Brad - so they had a lot to chat about (and chat she did!!)

Once we landed and got our luggage, we took a cab to our hotel. Ummm, it was interesting. The cab driver was driving so fast, that on one turn, I had to hold my hand out to stop the stroller from toppling over me! We very nearly missed (I'm talking mere inches here!) side-swiping about 3 cars, and then he had the nerve to honk at a guy going through the intersection. He wasn't even close to cutting our driver off, but apparently our driver didn't think so! And our drive to the hotel wouldn't have been complete without our driver driving on the grass/gravel along the freeway exit ramp to pass a couple of cars! We did make it safely - and Ellie was oblivious to the crazy driving. (although it probably didn't help Brad's naseau too much)!

The weather was nice and sunny the whole time we were there. Low to mid 80s everyday! I wish we could've brought it home with us! Being right next to the bay, it was a little humid and I was afraid that by the end of our trip, I'd end up looking like Monica from Friends! (I told my family not to be surprised if I came home with cornrows and beads!!! Augh! Never!)

Brad had a great time at his conference and Ellie and I had fun just relaxing. It was so nice to sit and read a book all day if I wanted...and not worry about what to fix for dinner...and not feel guilty for eating all the licorice myself. I did miss my kiddos, but they were having so much fun with my sister and brother-in-law that I don't think they missed us too much.

We found some fun restaurants to eat at, and I even got Brad to "branch out" a little on his dining choices. Don't get your hopes up, I didn't reinvent the wheel with him, but he did try a few new things! Progress!

Well, I'll let these pictures speak for themselves! We had a fantastic time, and I'd love to go back again!

Our hotel - the Sheraton Riverwalk. I think my picture-taking ability on this photo is particularly "postcard worthy"?! ha ha The water you see in the picture is the Hillsborough River, it feeds right in from Tampa Bay.



She carried her "lovey" around with her everywhere at the airport. I know, I know, totally disgusting, but you do what you have to do to make the little one happy. I just had to grit my teeth and pray that she wouldn't get sick from all the disgusting germs!

Yeah, all clean! No more disgusting airplane germs on me!


Totally LOVING the grass on her feet! lol



She loved crawling along the ledge and splashing all over herself.







"Playing" in the hotel




Of course the garbage would be the funnest toy!


Brad was so embarrassed when I took this picture - so "touristy"! But I just couldn't pass it up - these window washers were so far up, and the wind was blowing them all around! YIKES! I hope they got paid well!

Loving the feel of the flower petals



She pulls some of the funniest faces!



Just waiting for our dinner - all the restaurants by our hotel had these fun outside dining areas! We took full advantage of the beautiful weather!



Brad "vacationing" (he was actually doing homework...poor guy)



What a fun game to play: pack...unpack...pack....unpack...



I'm so cute Mom! And there's a little girl who looks just like me, she's great too!




Uh, I think I'm full now - but that licorice was tasty!



On a bridge overlooking the Hillsborough River


I took a LOT of these types of pictures of Ellie in her stroller. Brad wasn't with us for a lot of the time, so while Ellie and I were vacationing and walking around, I didn't have anyone to hold Ellie in the pictures. "Ellie sweetie, hold still and look at Mommy. Say cheese! No, no, no, don't stick your head through those bars, you could fall through and land in the river, what a silly girl?!!" I was trying to avoid any situation that even resembled that! :)




My precious little Ellie Belle!



Our last day in Florida, killing some time before we headed to the airport.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip Jamie! It was so fun to see you guys at Dallas' wedding! Cute, cute little girl in all those photos! and by the way...I think your hair managed just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I was anxiously awaiting all the pictures. :) Ellie is SO so gorgeous! I really feel like I can say that my nieces are the cutest! hehe. I loved the licorice pic, the funny face pic and the mirror pic were among my favs. I think she looks just like Tanner in the pool pic, don't you? I didn't know Brad didn't like to branch out and try new restaurants. Did he like the ones you tried? It did look so nice there. I hope Ellie had enough summer clothes to wear, cause I know you gave me most of them! (Tell Ellie thanks again!) She looked so very cute, I love that pink, plaid dress!

    Great post and love the new look. You are so festive. :) Glad you made it home safe and sound. I missed you mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! Your kids are adorable, I just want to squeeze them all. I am glad you didn't eat the whole bag of licorice but you shared and Ellie got a piece. You might have been a little green around the gills too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys had such a great time...even with Brad having to do so much homework. Poor guy but the end is near! HOORAY! I loved all your pictures some of my favs were the licorice one, the mirror one, and playing in the hotel one. She is just too cute! I didn't know Brad didn't like to branch out either with his food choices, way to get him to expound his taste buds. Glad you made it home safely and have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jam,
    Looks like you had so much fun in Florida. Don't you just love the warm weather....We are back to wearing jackets and even coats pants and sweaters. I can't wait until summer!! I am glad that you got to go with Brad...Did he have a fun time???
    Ellie was way cute of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie I'm so jealous you guys got to go play in the warm sun! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Maybe one day it will be that warm here! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really sad you didn't come home looking like monica!!! hahaha I loved your comment about that! and little Ellie is just the cutest little stinker!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now do you feel sorry for me when I have to fly with 3 all by myself? The South Carolina flights were the hardest. I'm glad I only had Robbie at the time. I have some pretty horrible, funny stories about all of our flights.

    We love Florida. Beautiful!

    You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete